Top knot is our favorite Updo for a reason- it owns the gift of timelessness. Top knots can make you look younger as well as ultra-chic. It is also a great way for pulling the hair away from your face on the third hair day while still maintaining the sophisticated vibe.
Here is a step-by-step tutorial on styling this gorgeous half-up top knot.
Step 1: Prep your hair
- Wash your hair and towel dry it.
- We need to get rid of the wetness so that use can make use of a blow dryer.
- Apply some dry shampoo to the hair. It will soak up the oils, and also give your hair a lot of volume and texture.
- You need the hair to appear a little ‘dirty’ for this look else you wont be able to style that-messy-bun.
- Massage the hair roots with your fingers for some time.
- Tease the crown area and the all-over using a teasing comb.
Step 2: Section it, Half up top knot
- Centre part and then smoothly brush through the hair to get rid of any tangles.
- Section top half of the hair using your fingers as shown in the figure.
- Collect hair depending on how thick you want the topknot to be.
- The more hair, thicker the bun. So if you want a mini bun, do less hair.
Step 3: From ponytail to messy bun
- Secure that hair on top of your head using a hair elastic and form a ponytail.
- Pull some hair out of ponytail to make sure you got enough pouf in the front section. Don’t go too sleek.
- Back comb your ponytail using a comb to add more volume.
- Hold the ponytail with one hand and twist it to form a bun.
- The bun need to be a bit tight but not too much since we need a messy look.
- Secure the bun using a hair elastic.
Step 4: They demand messiness!
- Expand your bun by pulling the hair to get some volume as well as a natural look.
- Secure the bun using bobby pins. It will help in creating the shape you wish.
- You always need to have a bit more control over what it looks like.
- If you feel like any part of it is not correct, adjust it using your fingers. You don’t need to brush it always since what we are doing is kind of messy bun.
Step 5: Have you decided on bottom section?
Now we can concentrate on the bottom section of hair. If you want to flaunt it in the natural way, its fine. Or maybe you can give your hair a quick curl.
- While curling, don’t do them all! Curl the bottom section and leave a little bit of hair out, just to give your hair a wavier finish.
- You can do tight curls or loose curls for the bottom section, but something loose is more appropriate.
- Secure the curls and bun using a texturizing hair spray. It will help in maintaining your look as well as add some more texture. Quick curling tips.
- You can pull out some pieces around your face if you want. It will look a bit more undone.
- T-shirt/sweater + jeans + sunglasses, making this combo with the topknot will make you look stunning.
Everyone loves this hairdo when it’s messier, sometimes you can’t have things looking too perfect. Style it friends, it’s a lot more fun thant you imagine.